LTI 1.3 with Canvas
These instructions describe how to register Auralia and Musition as an LTI 1.3 tool in the Canvas LMS (learning management system) and create assignments.
- In Canvas, click Admin → Developer Keys and click + Developer Key. Select the LTI Key option.
- Under Key Settings enter the following to configure the tool:
- Click Save to register the tool.
- Click the new LTI 1.3 Developer Key to On and copy the Client ID in the Details column for the newly created LTI Developer Key.
- Navigate to Admin → Settings → Apps → View App Configurations → + App. Alternatively this can be done within individual courses rather than site-wide.
- Select Configuration Type: By Client ID
- Paste the Client ID from the Developer Key step above and click Submit.
- Verify and install the app by clicking Install.
- On the View App Configurations page, find the new tool, click the gear icon, and click Deployment ID.
Now send the client ID, deployment ID and your Canvas URL to firstname.lastname@example.org for your Canvas to be linked to your Auralia / Musition cloud service.
You can add links to Auralia and Musition from both the assignments and the modules sections in your courses. Modules would be a good place to place Auralia and Musition practice links. Assignments have scores associated with them that will be recorded in the grade book, so use Auralia and Musition task links for assignments.
To add to modules:
- Open a course then click the Modules link in the Course Navigation.
- In the Module where you’d like to add the link, click the + button.
- In the Add [Item Type] To: drop-down menu, select External Tool.
- Find the Auralia / Musition external tool, click it, and then select from the choices shown: Auralia Practice or Musition Practice. Set a name for the new link (you can edit it later in Canvas).
- Save the new item.
To create an assignment:
- Open a course then click the Assignments link in the Course Navigation.
- Click the + button to create a new assignment, then More Options to see the full assignment settings.
- Set a name, description, and maximum points for your assignment. You must set the maximum points in order to receive scores from the tool.
- Set the submisison type to External Tool.
- Find the Auralia / Musition external tool, click it, and then select from the choices shown: Auralia Task or Musition Task. Set a name for the new link (you can edit it later in Canvas).
- Save the new item.
- Canvas should open the new assignment automatically and Auralia / Musition will launch.
- Select an existing Auralia or Musition test or course to use or create a new one, then click Attach to associate this with your Canvas assignment.
Migration from LTI 1.1
In order to migrate from LTI 1.1 to 1.3 without affecting existing links and assignments, you will need to register a new LTI tool for each of the LTI 1.1 tools registered previously. Typically you would have four LTI 1.1 tools registered if you are using both Auralia and Musition.
Register the additional tools using the method above, with the configuration URLs as follows:
- Auralia Task - https://lti.risingsoftware.com/config/canvas/auralia
- Auralia Practice - https://lti.risingsoftware.com/config/canvas/auraliaglobal
- Musition Task - https://lti.risingsoftware.com/config/canvas/musition
- Musition Practice - https://lti.risingsoftware.com/config/canvas/musitionglobal
Turn each key on, then deploy each of these into your course. Then send the client ID and deployment IDs for each tool to email@example.com in order for us to link them to your Auralia / Musition cloud service.
Once the new tools have been linked on both sides, you can remove the LTI 1.1 registrations from the course.